• 210g (1 cup) of cooked white or brown rice
• 250g green beans, trimmed and sliced lengthways
• 150g kale leaves, roughly chopped
• 2 tbsp. parmesan, finely grated
• 3 tbsp. sunflower seed kernels, lightly toasted
• 3 tbsp. pipit seeds, lightly toasted
• Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
• 400g tin of brown lentils rinsed and drained
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of half a lemon
• 80ml (1/3 cup) water, hot
• 200g grape tomatoes, halved
• 85g Kaiteki baby spinach
• 200g hot smoked trout fillets, skin removed, flaked
1. Blanch the beans and kale in a large pot of rapidly boiling seasoned water for about 1
minute, immediately draining and rinsing under cold water in a colander to stop the
cooking. Shake off the excess water, slice the beans and set aside.
2. For the pesto, mix the parmesan, sunflower seeds, the lemon zest and a small
handful of the cooked kale in a small food processor until combined. Add oil, lemon
juice and 2 tbsp. water. Continue to process until a smooth barely pourable pesto forms.
3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, reserving the trout and toss until
everything is nicely dressed. Serve into bowls or plates and top with the flaked trout.